I just started giving this some thought. Sometimes actors are not credited for their appearances, but we list them anyway in the Dramatis Personae under certain headings. Who chooses what headings they go under? Isn't this arbitrary? I really think the only valid option is to create a subheading called Uncredited appearances and put everybody in an episode who wasn't credited for any reason whatsoever under it. This entails the following:
- It counts for major characters: we would need to go back and move all of Roger Stanton's appearances in his episodes to Uncredited appearances
- It counts for insignificant characters too: Joyner gets listed there, and the first appearances of Basheer and the like also have to get there
I would be willing to do all of this shifting around, it isn't too difficult anyway.
Also, I could make a category for Actors with uncredited appearances or something, where we could place everyone who ever appeared without being credited (regardless of whether or not they appeared sometime before or later with a credit).
Other things to consider:
- The alternative to this is to leave it as it currently is, which I argue is arbitrary.
- If people like this idea, should we mark the new subheading with parentheses, like this: (Uncredited appearances), in order to indicate it's our convention? Or is it self-explanatory? – Blue Rook 21:49, 26 March 2008 (UTC)talkcontribs
- I'm pretty sure we started doing it this way. But people chanted it, and I never liked it. Your suggestion is definitely the best way to go about it. --Proudhug 02:56, 29 March 2008 (UTC)
- Alrighty, I'm thinking of going through and creating those subheadings. To be honest, I vaguely remember myself removing one of the "Uncredited appearances" sections, so I might have been part of the problem in my younger days. Proudhug (or anyone), any objections or concerns before I go about this? Also, what do we do about the possible exception Roger Stanton? In his case, we know he was supposed to be a Guest Star specifically, but chose not to be listed. I still say we put him in Uncredited. – Blue Rook 01:02, 30 March 2008 (UTC)talkcontribs
- Definitely. The conditions underwhich he was uncredited are irrelevant to the fact that he was uncredited. There's a note on Yulin's page stating the reason, that should suffice. --Proudhug 02:05, 30 March 2008 (UTC)
- I did it for Days 1 through 3. Any issues thus far?
- Related topic: I'd like to make a category for actors who have ever had uncredited appearances. Any reasons not to? If not, what's a better category name, Actors with uncredited appearances, Uncredited actors, or something else? Blue Rook 07:14, 30 March 2008 (UTC)talkcontribs
- Looks good. A category is a good idea, since we have them for every other credited title. --Proudhug 03:57, 31 March 2008 (UTC)