Hostages in 24 are people who have taken and held by a captor in order to compel another "party" such as a relative, employer or government to act, or refrain from acting, in a particular way, often under threat of serious physical harm to the hostage(s).
- Kim Bauer and Teri Bauer: Along with Janet York, her friend, Kim was kidnapped by Dan Mounts and Rick Allen and handed over to mercenary Ira Gaines. Teri was kidnapped by Kevin Carroll, who was posing as Janet's father Alan York. Gaines kept Kim at his compound with her mother for hours, threatening to kill them if Jack didn't comply with his demands. Kim and her mother were eventually rescued by her father with help from CTU and Alberta Green.
- Jessie Hampton: Officer Hampton was held by Greg Penticoff in order to draw Jack away at 18166 San Fernando Road. Instead of letting Jessie go, he shot her and was captured by Jack. She was killed instantly.
- Nina Myers: When Nina became suspicious of Jack's actions at CTU and the switching of the keycard, he held her at gunpoint and exited CTU with her. Gaines ordered Bauer to shoot her, which he did, but prevented her death with a flak jacket.
- Lauren Proctor: Seconds after escaping custody from Secret Service and Alan Hayes, Jack car-jacked Lauren's car and held her hostage until he recieved a car with help from Nina Myers, who made it back to CTU. She agreed to retrieve the car for Jack, but betrayed him and went to Secret Service.
- Ted Cofell: Jack knocked out Cofell's driver Mark and kidnapped Cofell in his own limousine, later interrogated him and threatened to force a towel down his throat. Cofell pleeded innocence until they went to see Kevin Carroll, which he attacked Bauer with a Microtech H.A.L.O. Jack inadvertently killed him by rupturing his heart condition with a punch.
- Krugman: During the botched drug deal, Frank Allard and his friend Craig held undercover officer Krugman and his partner at gunpoint and stole the drugs. Krugman arrested them later and was shot by Serbian terrorists.
- Victor Drazen: When Andre Drazen team of Serbian militants entered the Class 3 Detention facility, Jack held Drazen hostage when surrounded. He released him when Andre threatened to execute the warden.
- Mark DeSalvo: Held by Andre Drazen as leverage to release his father. Jack released Victor but Andre shot Mark anyway in front of Bauer.
- Jack Bauer: Taken by the Drazens as a bargaining chip after the death of the entire staff at the prison in Saugus. Exchanged for Alexis Drazen.
- Kim Bauer: After being released from prison with help from Melanie, the police car escorting Kim to CTU was attacked and the cops, including Krugman, were shot and Kim was taken again. She escaped and was found Sargeant Devlin at the Port of L.A.
- Mila Luminec: After serving her father and Victor, Jack held her with a knife to her neck and ordered the Serb's guns to be lowered. Victor agreed to, but shot Mila in the forehead, destroying Jack's leverage.