- "New York Gets Jacked."
- — Season 8 promos
On 26 March 2010, it was announced that Season 8 would be the show's final season.
In the eighth season, CTU has been reinstated, upgraded, and is run by MBA-schooled and razor-sharp head honcho Brian Hastings in New York. Cole Ortiz, an ex-Marine who wants to follow in Jack Bauer's footsteps, runs the division’s Field Operations. Expert data analyst Dana Walsh collaborates with systems analyst Arlo Glass inside CTU. Rob Weiss serves as President Allison Taylor's new chief of staff, and Meredith Reed is an ambitious journalist with ties to the unfolding situation.
As President Omar Hassan of Kamistan comes to the United States on a peacemaking mission, he is targeted by a group of Russian terrorists, led by people from within Hassan's own country. CTU has to stop the impending threat, with the help of a reluctant Jack Bauer.
|“||This has been the role of a lifetime, and I will never be able to fully express my appreciation to everyone who made it possible. While the end of the series is bittersweet, we always wanted 24 to finish on a high note, so the decision to make the eighth season our last was one we all agreed upon. This feels like the culmination of all our efforts from the writers to the actors to our fantastic crew and everyone at Fox. Looking ahead to the future, Howard Gordon and I are excited about the opportunity to create the feature film version of 24. But when all is said and done, it is the loyal worldwide fan base that made it possible for me to have the experience of playing the role of Jack Bauer, and for that I am eternally grateful.||”|
Executive producer and showrunner Howard Gordon was also a part of the decision. He was quoted saying:
|“|| "Kiefer and I have loved every minute of making 24, but we all believe that now is the right time to call it a day. I echo his sentiments of gratitude toward the show’s amazing creative team, as well as the studio and network who have always believed in us and shown us unbelievable support."
"24 is so much more than just a TV show – it has redefined the drama genre and created one of the most admired action icons in television history," said Peter Rice, Chairman, Entertainment, Fox Networks Group. Kevin Reilly, President, Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company added, "We are extremely proud of this groundbreaking series and will be forever thankful to Kiefer, the producers, the cast and crew for everything they’ve put into 24 over the years. It’s truly been an amazing and unforgettable eight days."
Day 8 begins 18 months after Day 7 at 4:00pm EDT (1:00pm PDT), the latest in the day of any season. This is the second season to use Eastern Time as opposed to Pacific Time. According to Operation Hero, it takes place on May 20-21. Day 8 takes place roughly 14 years after Day 1.
As with many previous Days, Season 8 can be divided into three acts.
- Jack is unwillingly dragged back into the world of CTU, trying to help them stop the assassination of Kamistani President Omar Hassan during a conference at the United Nations with U.S. President Allison Taylor. The main antagonists of this act are Davros and Farhad Hassan.
- Jack and Renee try to acquire nuclear fuel rods from a Russian crime syndicate called Red Square, but the rods are stolen by IRK terrorists, who use the rods to make a dirty bomb to detonate in New York City. Jack and Cole fight to stop them but their efforts are greatly hindered when CTU is struck with an EMP. The terrorists threaten to use the dirty bomb to force the President Allison Taylor to turn over President Omar Hassan. The main antagonists of this act are Samir Mehran, Tarin Faroush, Sergei Bazhaev, Vladimir Laitanan and Dana Walsh.
- With Hassan dead the peace process begins to fall apart. IRK minister Jamot gives President Taylor the suggestion of having Dalia Hassan take Omar's place. Everyone at the accord approves of the idea except Foreign Minister Mikhail Novakovich who is determined on taking Russia out of the process. Former President Charles Logan aids President Taylor in bringing Russia back into the agreement, but an emotionally devastated Jack, upon finding out about Russia's involvement in the day's previous events, aims to expose Russia and their activities once they become responsible for the murder of Renee. Logan complicates the situation by sidelining Ethan Kanin and persuading President Taylor to cover up Russian involvement to protect the peace treaty. The main antagonists of this act are Yuri Suvarov, Charles Logan, Jason Pillar, Dana Walsh, Mikhail Novakovich, and Pavel Tokarev.
The main antagonist of the season is Yuri Suvarov.
- Jack Bauer's attempts to leave New York and be with his family.
- Dana Walsh's mysterious past as "Jenny Scott", and the hoops she has to jump through to satisfy Kevin Wade, a man from her past that she would rather forget.
- President Omar Hassan's paranoid behaviour because of his brother's betrayal, resulting in distrust amongst even his closest allies.
- Renee Walker being reactived, despite being fired from the FBI.
- An EMP is detonated at CTU, leaving them unable to assist with the mission to find the nuclear rods.
- The presence of a mole at CTU who is aiding the terrorists.
- High-ranking members of President Taylor's administration work behind her back in order to resolve the nuclear fuel rod crisis at the risk of destroying the peace process between the United States and the Islamic Republic of Kamistan.
- The reappearance of Charles Logan and his impact on other characters.
- Chloe O'Brian replacing Brian Hastings as the head of CTU and the impact it has on others.
- Renee Walker is murdered, prompting Jack to go rogue and defy Chloe and President Taylor to avenge her.
- Russian President Yuri Suvarov is revealed to be the mastermind behind the day's events.
- Kiefer Sutherland as Jack Bauer (24 episodes)
- Mary Lynn Rajskub as Chloe O'Brian (24 episodes)
- Anil Kapoor as President Omar Hassan (15 episodes)
- Annie Wersching as Renee Walker (13 episodes)
- Mykelti Williamson as Brian Hastings (17 episodes)
- Katee Sackhoff as Dana Walsh (20 episodes)
- Chris Diamantopoulos as Rob Weiss (12 episodes)
- John Boyd as Arlo Glass (24 episodes)
- with Freddie Prinze Jr. as Cole Ortiz (24 episodes)
- and Cherry Jones as President Allison Taylor (20 episodes)
- Nazneen Contractor as Kayla Hassan (19 episodes)
- Necar Zadegan as Dalia Hassan (18 episodes)
- T.J. Ramini as Tarin Faroush (11 episodes)
- Mido Hamada as Samir Mehran (10 episodes)
- Clayne Crawford as Kevin Wade (9 episodes)
- Akbar Kurtha as Farhad Hassan (8 episodes)
- Graham McTavish as Mikhail Novakovich (7 episodes)
- David Anders as Josef Bazhaev (6 episodes)
- Michael Filipowich as Nick Coughlin (6 episodes)
- Julian Morris as Agent Owen (6 episodes)
- Hrach Titizian as Nabeel (6 episodes)
- Reed Diamond as Jason Pillar (6 episodes)
- Frank John Hughes as Tim Woods (6 episodes)
- Jennifer Westfeldt as Meredith Reed (6 episodes)
- Navid Negahban as Jamot (6 episodes)
- Ethan Rains as Ali (5 episodes)
- Gene Farber as Oleg Bazhaev (4 episodes)
- Doug Hutchison as Davros (4 episodes)
- Joel Bissonnette as Pavel Tokarev (4 episodes)
- Nick Jameson as Yuri Suvarov (3 episode)
- Stephen Root as Bill Prady (3 episodes)
- Rami Malek as Marcos Al-Zacar (3 episodes)
- Jordan Marder as Dimitri (3 episodes)
- D.B. Sweeney as Mark Bledsoe (2 episodes)
- Paul Wesley as Stephen (2 episodes)
- with Bob Gunton as Secretary of State Ethan Kanin (10 episodes)
- with Callum Keith Rennie as Vladimir Laitanan (3 episodes)
- and Juergen Prochnow as Sergei Bazhaev (7 episodes)
- and Michael Madsen as Jim Ricker (4 episodes)
- and Mare Winningham as Elaine Al-Zacar (2 episodes)
The following episodes were broadcast as back-to-back as two-hour episodes:
- Episodes 1 and 2; "4:00pm-5:00pm" and "5:00pm-6:00pm" on January 17, 2010
- Episodes 3 and 4; "6:00pm-7:00pm" and "7:00pm-8:00pm" on January 18, 2010
- Episodes 5 and 6; "8:00pm-9:00pm" and "9:00pm-10:00pm" on January 31, 2010 (UK Only)
- Episodes 15 and 16; "6:00am-7:00am" and "7:00am-8:00am" on April 5, 2010 (Not in Australia)
- Episodes 23 and 24; "2:00pm-3:00pm" and "3:00pm-4:00pm" on May 24, 2010
|Picture||Title||Number||Production Code||Original Airdate|
|"4:00pm-5:00pm"||171||8AFF01||January 17, 2010|
|At the United Nations in New York City, US President Allison Taylor and Kamistan President Omar Hassan are putting the finishing touches on an historic peace treaty. With a new lease on life, Jack Bauer plans on moving back to Los Angeles with his daughter Kim and granddaughter Teri, but his plans are put on hold when an old informant comes to him with information on an assassination plot against Hassan.|
|"5:00pm-6:00pm"||172||8AFF02||January 17, 2010|
|CTU New York arrests a journalist for breaking into the UN database, but Chloe O'Brian suspects a frame job and asks for Jack's help to find the real culprit. Meanwhile, a secret from Dana's past comes back to haunt her.|
|"6:00pm-7:00pm"||173||8AFF03||January 18, 2010|
|Hot on the assassin's trail, Jack finds himself set up as a cop killer and endures torture by a corrupt NYPD officer. President Omar Hassan argues with his brother about telling CTU about his affair with Meredith Reed, even though it will help prove her innocence. Presidents Taylor, Hassan, and the rest of the United Nations building are evacuated due to a bomb threat.|
|"7:00pm-8:00pm"||174||8AFF04||January 18, 2010|
|President Hassan takes temporary residence in the CTU New York building in the aftermath of the motorcade bombing. Uranium-235 particles are discovered on the dead body of Davros, indicating that his organization has possession of weapons-grade nuclear material. A damaged Renee Walker returns and is given an undercover assignment in the Russian mob, but not everyone thinks she's ready.|
|"8:00pm-9:00pm"||175||8AFF05||January 25, 2010|
|Renee, with Jack following close behind, takes Ziya Dakhilov to meet Vladimir Laitanan in order to reestablish her cover. President Omar Hassan must decide what actions he will take against traitors in his country. Concerned for his brother's safety, Josef takes him to a medical clinic to seek radiation treatment.|
|"9:00pm-10:00pm"||176||8AFF06||February 1, 2010|
|Kevin Wade coerces Dana into getting him into an NYPD evidence lock-up worth more than a hundred thousand dollars. President Omar Hassan's harsh measures against dissenters continue to raise eyebrows at the United Nations. After a brush with death, "Renee Zadan" gets the sting operation back on track, but not without a horrifying concession to Vladimir Laitanan.|
|"10:00pm-11:00pm"||177||8AFF07||February 8, 2010|
|As Allison Taylor struggles to hold the peace process together, her administration's paranoia about Omar Hassan continues to grow alongside the number of people he orders arrested. Meanwhile, Jack's undercover meeting with criminal Vladimir Laitanan concerning the stolen nuclear fuel rods quickly unravels due to Renee's fraying mental state.|
|"11:00pm-12:00am"||178||8AFF08||February 15, 2010|
|When it becomes clear that Kevin has no intention of upholding his end of the bargain, Dana Walsh prepares to take drastic action. Kayla Hassan attempts to intervene against her father on Tarin's behalf. Jack Bauer brings Sergei Bazhaev into custody, but an unforeseen betrayal derails the operation, placing the nuclear rods back in enemy hands.|
|"12:00am-1:00am"||179||8AFF09||February 22, 2010|
|Farhad Hassan seeks the aid of CTU when his associates commandeer the nuclear rods for their own deadly purposes. Jack Bauer makes a deal with Brian Hastings to protect Renee from taking the fall for a failed mission. Cole Ortiz discovers his fiancee's secret and quickly puts an end to Kevin's plot.|
|"1:00am-2:00am"||180||8AFF10||March 1, 2010|
|Jack prepares to go to Farhad Hassan's last known location to rescue him. President Taylor warns President Omar Hassan that war may be declared on his country. Hassan is dealing with his own issues when he realizes that his daughter has run away with his former head of security. Cole and Dana have to figure out how to solve the aftermath of the confrontation with Kevin and Nick.|
|"2:00am-3:00am"||181||8AFF11||March 8, 2010|
|Racing against the clock, Jack Bauer tries to persuade Marcos Al-Zacar to turn himself in before he can arm an explosive vest. Dana Walsh and Cole Ortiz arrive back at CTU New York, only to be reprimanded, and in Dana's case demoted, by Brian Hastings. In the midst of planning to start a new life with Tarin, Kayla Hassan receives some disturbing news from her mother.|
|"3:00am-4:00am"||182||8AFF12||March 15, 2010|
|Tarin Faroush manages to kidnap President Hassan's daughter Kayla while Jack Bauer and CTU try to stop him from using her to accomplish the terrorists' devastating goals. Dana Walsh is backed into a corner as Bill Prady attempts to find out what happened to Kevin Wade.|
|"4:00am-5:00am"||183||8AFF13||March 22, 2010|
|CTU New York struggles after its systems are destroyed in the aftermath of the EMP explosion, forcing Chloe O'Brian to take drastic actions to get it back up and running. Jack Bauer, along with three CTU agents, are pinned down by sniper fire and are unable to radio for backup. Kayla Hassan is finally reunited with her parents.|
|"5:00am-6:00am"||184||8AFF14||March 29, 2010|
|Samir Mehran demands that the United States government hand over President Omar Hassan within one hour or face a radiological attack in the heart of Manhattan. Defiantly, President Allison Taylor instead orders Jack Bauer to escort Hassan to Fort McGuire Air Force Base, while members of her inner circle conspire to subvert her decision.|
|"6:00am-7:00am"||185||8AFF15||April 5, 2010|
|President Omar Hassan forces Jack Bauer to let himself be turned over to the terrorists in order to avoid an attack on Manhattan. Jack, in addition to CTU New York, close in on Hassan’s location, but are cut short by an insider. President Allison Taylor learns of the corruption taking place within her inner circle and the steps they took to ensure its success.|
|"7:00am-8:00am"||186||8AFF16||April 5, 2010|
|After her cover is blown, Dana Walsh agrees to give up President Hassan’s location in exchange for full immunity, but only if Jack Bauer leads the assault team. Cole Ortiz is forced to face the fact that Dana is the mole. Samir Mehran makes his final plans to execute Hassan live over the Internet, but not before torturing him.|
|"8:00am-9:00am"||187||8AFF17||April 12, 2010|
|President Taylor urges Dalia Hassan to take up the mantle of her murdered husband, and enlists former President Charles Logan to investigate the withdrawal of the Russians. Brian Hastings is removed as director of CTU New York, leaving a nervous Chloe O'Brian in charge. After a long night, Jack Bauer and Renee Walker consummate their growing attraction, unaware that someone is plotting to kill them.|
|"9:00am-10:00am"||188||8AFF18||April 19, 2010|
|Charles Logan is able to convince Mikhail Novakovich to return to the peace talks, but refuses to tell President Taylor how he was able to do so. In order to solve Renee's murder, Jack Bauer heads to federal court to interrogate Sergei Bazhaev, who confesses to a much larger enemy in the midst of today's events.|
|"10:00am-11:00am"||189||8AFF19||April 26, 2010|
|President Taylor is forced to compromise her principles in order to keep an historic peace agreement on track. On the run from the law, Jack Bauer turns to a former ally for help on a mission to break Dana Walsh out of custody and obtain evidence against the Russian government.|
|"11:00am-12:00pm"||190||8AFF20||May 3, 2010|
|Jack Bauer and Cole Ortiz try to break Dana Walsh out of the custody of a private security firm, so that she can give them the location of a video file incriminating the Russians’ involvement in the conspiracy. With President Taylor's approval, Charles Logan instructs Jason Pillar to infiltrate CTU New York and relay information on the whereabouts of Jack Bauer to Mikhail Novakovich.|
|"12:00pm-1:00pm"||191||8AFF21||May 10, 2010|
|With the evidence in hand, Jack Bauer contacts Meredith Reed and asks to meet her, so that she can help expose those responsible. However, CTU intercepts the call, which allows Jason Pillar to assist Pavel Tokarev and his men plan an ambush for the two of them. Arlo Glass secretly teams up with Chloe O'Brian in order to find the identity of an old contact who is aiding Jack.|
|"1:00pm-2:00pm"||192||8AFF22||May 17, 2010|
|With only an hour to go before the signing ceremony, Jack Bauer mounts a one-man assault on Charles Logan's motorcade in his continuing mission to avenge Renee Walker's murder. Meredith Reed takes steps to break the story on the Russian conspiracy. Chloe and Arlo identify Jack's contact in the city, and dispatch Cole Ortiz to track him down.|
|150px||"2:00pm-3:00pm"||193||8AFF23||May 24, 2010|
|Cole, Arlo, and Chloe make a final attempt to expose the coverup at the UN. Kayla Hassan relays to her mother the information Meredith Reed gave her concerning the people really behind her husband's death. She precedes to confront President Taylor about this alligations and is given disturbing news. After sneaking past the security perimeter, Jack Bauer aims a sniper rifle at a building across the street...|
|"3:00pm-4:00pm"||194||8AFF24||May 24, 2010|
|Chloe O'Brian shoots Jack Bauer to divert the FBI from the fact that Jack had given her the data card implecating the Russian President Taylor stops the treaty process after realizing Jack Bauer was right all along about the greater good and that peace made on a foundation of lies could never last. aims a sniper rifle at a building across the street...|
- Day 8 antagonists
- Unnamed Day 8 characters
- DVD collections: Region 1, Region 2, Region 4
- Blu-ray collections: Region A, Region B
| Previous season:|
| First episode:|
| Next season:|
| Preceded by:|
| Followed by:|