They are also assigned with protection of major Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates and nominees, as well as their spouses, and their children.
Secret Service agents
Background information and notes
Although the Secret Service is most known for its protective duties, it is primarily responsible for investigating violations of federal laws relating to counterfeiting and other financial crimes of the United States. This is due in part because prior to the September 11th attacks, the Secret Service was under the jurisdiction of the Department of the Treasury. It started presidential protection duties after the assassination of William McKinley in 1901. After the assassination of Robert Kennedy in 1968, the Service's mandate was altered further to include protection of presidential candidates.
A number of 24 stars have played Secret Service agents, including:
- Xander Berkeley, Glenn Morshower, and Timothy Carhart in Air Force One (1997)
- Jude Ciccolella in Head of State (2003)
- Roger Cross in X2: X-Men United (2003)
- Gavin Glennon in an episode of The West Wing
- Michael O'Neill in several episodes of The West Wing
- Kiefer Sutherland in The Sentinel (2006)
- Harris Yulin in Rush Hour 2 (2001)